Sunday, November 1, 2009

A new quilt and a dead iron

Wednesday I took a day off of work and attended a class from Linda Ballard, "Canine Stars." I did not even make one block! I knew going in that paper piecing was going to be involved. My last three tries did not go so well. I was thinking positive thoughts all week.

Linda gave us a choice of three ways to paper piece. I listened and tried not to block it out of mind or leave class early. Linda thought I would. I practiced on two and managed to make one perfect one. The way I chose was with freezer paper; not the kind on a roll from the store, but "JC" (?) brand. Once we traced the pattern on the paper, we creased the lines and sewed. All the creases made it more concrete for me.

I knew from the start I was only going to make two squares for a table runner. I could not see making a wall hanging or making it bigger. In Friday class at the end of the month, I will finish it with some help of my friends.

My iron is ready to go to heaven. I've had this Rowenta for ten years and has served me faithfully. It quit producing steam and the water level never changed. I used a dry iron for two weeks, and just could not continue that way.

Off to Costco I went this morning and bought the $70 Rowenta. It looks like my old one, but it has a few more bells and whistles. When I ironed this morning, it was like night and day. I didn't realize my old one was so bad. I'm a happy camper now. Pugs and kisses.

No comments:

Post a Comment